By: Nina Pucillo | Italian Hearts
- 1 (1 3/4. LB) Durham Ranch Flat Iron Steak
- 1 (10 oz.) Package Frozen Spinach, Thawed
- 4 oz. Goat Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. Romano Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Pink Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. Piment D’espelette
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Cup Cabernet
- 1 Cup Good Beef Stock (Preferably Homemade)
- 2 Jars Italian Hearts Three Meat Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line your work surface with a large piece of wax paper; place the flat iron on top and cover with another piece of wax paper. Using the flat side of a mallet, pound the beef to even out thickness until the beef is about 14 inches long and 8 inches wide; transfer the meat to a plate and discard the wax paper.
- Place a kitchen towel on your work surface; dispense the thawed spinach onto the towel. Wrap the towel around the spinach, twist the ends, and, over the sink, squeeze as water as possible out of the spinach.
- To the food processor, add the spinach, goat cheese, Romano, Piment D’Espelette, nutmeg, sea salt and minced garlic; process until combined.
- Lay cheesecloth on your work surface and place the beef on top. Using a spatula, spread the stuffing evenly onto the meat leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle the pink peppercorns evenly over the entirety of the stuffing; pat them down a bit into the stuffing.
- Using the cheesecloth as an aide, roll the beef into a sausage-like form. Wrap the cheesecloth completely around the beef, twist the ends tightly and secure each end with kitchen twine. The roast should look like a sausage now. Run your hands down the roast to even it out and straighten it if necessary.
- Preheat a braising pan over medium high heat. You will know that the pan is ready when you place your hand about 1 inch from the pan surface and you feel heat radiating from the pan. Add the duck fat; swirl it around the pan. Add the beef to the pan and using tongs turn as necessary to brown all sides; transfer to a plate. Deglaze the pan with red wine, stirring. Stir in the beef broth and Italian Hearts Three Meat Sauce; bring the pot to a simmer. Return the beef to the pot and cover it. Place the pot in the center of the oven; bake for two hours, basting occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the oven; transfer the beef to a plate. Allow the beef to rest for 15 minutes so that it can be safely handled. Place the pot over high heat and reduce the sauce for 15 minutes.
- To plate the dish: Place the beef on a serving platter, spoon the sauce on top and around the roast; arrange vegetables of your choice around the roast.
- Serve and enjoy!