If you seriously love pasta – this recipe will most certainly satisfy you!
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1 lb. ground deer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup smoked gouda
Ingredient to make the Gnocchi (you can use store bought as well)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Dice carrots, celery, and onion. Mince basil, oregano, and garlic. Sauté on medium heat in oil, for about 20 mins or until it starts to brown and oil burns off.
- Then add wine and simmer on low until liquid evaporates, about 30 minutes.
- Pour celery/carrot/onion mixture in separate bowl and saute ground venison until brown throughout.
- See How to Make Gnocchi below.
- Mix gnocchi in sautéed veggies, ground meat, 1/2 cup mozzarella and tomato sauce then pour in casserole dish.
- Top with gouda cheese.
- Bake in covered casserole dish for 20 mins. Uncover and cook until cheese starts to brown.
How to make Gnocchi:
- Boil a pot of water.
- Put mashed potatoes in mound on counter and pour egg on it. Mix in with hands and then knead in salt and flour, adding a little bit at a time, knead thoroughly.
- Dough should feel slightly sticky. Separate dough into 5 handfuls and roll each into long ropes, about 1 inch diameter. (You may need a little more flour, to dust your hands and the dough, while rolling out.)
- Cut the dough ropes into 1/2 inch pieces. (To prevent the dough from sticking to the knife, coat knife with a little oil.)
- Drop about 20 of the dumplings into the boiling water, crowding will make them stick. When they float to the top they’re done.
- Remove from water with slotted spoon into empty bowl.
Recipe by Chef Stacy Petty, Brand Ambassador for Durham Ranch