By: Adam Daniels, Peppermill – Bimini Steakhouse
- 1 5lb Durham Ranch Elk loin
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds, crushed
- 3 Tablespoons whole cloves
- 3 Tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 3 Tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup crushed garlic
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- Cherry wood for smoking
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground clove
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 3 tablespoons course ground pepper
- 2 Heads hearts of butter lettuce, large chopped
- 1 Pound Brussels sprouts, scored in 1/4 and deep fried until crispy
- 3 cups cooked toasted barley
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 cups oven roasted beets
- 1 cup freeze dried mandarin orange segments
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
Black Walnut and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- 4 Oz. pomegranate vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 12 ounces Black walnut oil
ELK LOIN INSTRUCTIONS
- Trim the elk loin of all of the silver skin. Set loin aside in a container large enough to hold 2 gallons worth of liquid.
- Combine all other ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Let the brine cool to 40°F.
- Pour brine over loin, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove loin from brine and wipe dry with paper towels.
- Rub the loin with the spice mix, and set in the refrigerator overnight.
- Light smoker and set temperature to 150°F. Smoke the loin for 2 hours.
- Remove from the smoker.
- Heat a large sauté pan, add 2 ounces canola oil until hot. Sear the loin on all sides and cook to desired temperature. I pulled mine at 120°F internal temperature.
- Set aside to rest while you assemble the salad.
- In a blender, add the vinegar, honey, and shallot. Blend on high while you drizzle in the oil. Once emulsified add the thyme and set aside.
- In a large bowl, for however many guests you have, add the salad ingredients. Dress with the walnut vinaigrette and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place salad on a plate and slice the elk loin 1/2 inch thick and add to the plate with salad.
- Add fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to the loin.