Troy Szczotka | Peppermill – Bimini Steakhouse
72 Hour Sous vide Bison Osso Bucco
- 3 Cups Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- 2 Cups Veal stock
- 1 Medium Carrot (diced)
- 1 White onion (diced)
- 3 Celery stocks (diced)
- ½ Cup Garlic (chopped)
- ¼ Cup Peppercorns
- 5 Bay leaves
- 1 Bunch parsley
- Small handful of fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 Durham Ranch Bison Osso Bucco
- 1 Tbsp. Extra hot horseradish
Candied Bimini Bacon
- 4 Slices of Bimini House smoked bacon
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Braised Red Cabbage
- ½ Cup Bacon fat
- 2 Tbsp. garlic (minced)
- 1 head of red cabbage (cored and julienned)
- 1 Red onion (julienned)
- 1 Cup honey
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cups red wine vinegar
- S&P to taste
Butternut Squash Puree
- 1 Butternut squash (peeled, deseeded, and diced)
- 1 Celery root (peeled and diced)
- ½ G.Heavy Cream
- 1/4 lb. Butter
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- S&P to taste
Osso Bucco Instructions
- Place all ingredients; except for the bison osso buco and horseradish, into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Place the marinade in the refrigerator.
- Place the bison into the chilled marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Once marinated remove the bison and set aside. Then place the marinade into a pot and reduce down until approx.1 cup of the liquid remains. Let cool down.
- Place the bison into two separate sous vide bags along with 2oz of the sauce reduction (saving any extra sauce). Vacuum seal both bags and place into water with the sous vide set at 125°F and let cook for 72 hours.
- Once cooked remove the bags and place into an ice bath to cool quickly.
- To reheat just before serving, place bags into boiling water for 15 minutes, once hot remove the osso buco and char the outside over a cherry-oak wood grill.
- Add the horseradish into the remainder of your sauce.
- Glaze the bison with the remaining sauce.
Candied Bimini Bacon Instructions
- Place sliced bacon into the brown sugar and evenly coat both sides.
- Sprinkle fresh cracked pepper onto bacon.
- Set a dehydrator to 110°F.
- Place the bacon evenly into the dehydrator and cook for 36 hours.
- Remove and set aside till plating.
Braised Red Cabbage Instructions
- Place the bacon fat into a pot and let melt. Once melted saute the minced garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and red onion to the pot and saute for 10 minutes. Then add the honey and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the water and red wine vinegar.
- Reduce until most of the liquid is gone. At this point taste the cabbage to see if you need to add more water(meaning the cabbage is not fully cooked).
- Season with salt and pepper.
Butternut Squash Puree Instructions
- Place the butternut squash, celery root, and heavy cream into a pot.
- Cook until all the vegetables are very tender.
- Strain the vegetables but save all the liquid.
- Place the vegetables into a vita-mix with about 3oz of the saved liquid.
- Puree until very smooth, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Once smooth add the butter, lemon juice, and s&p to taste.