Recipe from Mark Estee
Elk Loin and Additional Meat
- 2 six-oz. Elk Loin Steaks, boneless
Kebab and Chimichurri
- 4 T blanched, rinsed and minced garlic
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- 4 T chopped parsley
- 4 T chopped thyme
- 2 ea juice of lemon Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups large diced carrots
- 6 cups large diced turnips
- 6 cups large diced parsnips
- 1 bunch thyme
- 8 ounces butter
- 12 ounces water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash 5 lbs. of small baby potatoes Toss with sea salt, Fresh black pepper, and Olive oil
- 8 oz. butter
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 stalks of celery
- Red wine
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz. demi glaze
- 4 oz. crema
Elk Loin Prep
- Remove loin from the package.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Remove the sirloin end from the loin
- Clean away silver skin and any connective pieces of elk on Sirloin and Loin.
- Save the connective pieces. Save the silver ski and trim.
- Cut Sirloin into 3 equal parts
- Lay 2 pieces of bacon on cutting board. Roll or pound out bacon.
- Season the Sirloin with salt and pepper. Wrap with bacon.
- Repeat with other 2 pieces.
- Heat large sauté pan on medium.
- Place the Sirloin, bacon seam side down in the pan. Let cook for 6 minutes.
- Gently turn over and let cook another 7 minutes. Bacon should begin to brown.
- Place in warm area for 20 minutes to rest.
- Slice and serve on platter
- Cut Loin into 3 equal parts.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using gentle pressure, from the loin from a flat piece to a more round piece. Repeat with other two
- Tie with twine to hold its shape.
- Heat large saute pan on medium to high heat. Add 4 ounces of butter.
- Add tied loin to pan and brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in oven set to 350° for 5 minutes. Remove and let rest.
- Slice loin, being sure to remove the twine. Serve on platter.
- Clean the larger trim and connective tissue pieces into 1.5 ounce pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper and skewer on wooden sticks
- Mix all Chimichurri ingredients well, season
- Serve Chimichurri under and over the kebabs on the platter.
- Heat small pan on high heat.
- Add 2 T grapeseed oil and cook the Kebabs for 3 minutes on each side.
- Let rest and serve on platter.
- In large pan on stove on medium heat, add all ingredients and bring to a slow simmer while covered.
- Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Check seasoning. Taste for tenderness.Serve on platter.
- Lay on roasting plan and place into a 400° preheated oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add 4 ounces of butter to medium heated sauce pan.
- Brown the trim and silver skin in pan.
- Add 1 onion, 1 carrot and 4 stalks of celery.
- Brown for 20 more minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine.
- Add salt, pepper and 8 ounces of demi glaze.
- Cook for 30 more minutes on low heat.
- Strain thru chinos.
- Add 4 ounces of butter and 4 ounces of crema to the sauce to make it gravy.
- Serve on platter in gravy boat.