By: Kristoffer Miranda | Oceano – Peppermill
- 2/3 Cup warm water
- 2 tsp. Instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1. Cups bread flour (plus more for if needed)
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- 6 oz Durham Ranch Flat Iron Wagyu about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Light soy
- 1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- Tbsp. Chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper as needed
- 1 Cup light soy sauce
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
Quick Pickling Juice
- 1/2 Cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp. cracked black Pepper
- 1 glove garlic
Bao Dough Instructions
- Place the water, yeast ,and sugar in a mixing bowl and with a dough hook attachment and just let the yeast dissolve. Let the mixture sit until the yeast starts to get foamy and bloom, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sift the bread flour, salt and baking soda together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture slowly with using the slowest speed then gradually increase speed until the dough is incorporated. If the dough looks sticky, add 1 additional tablespoon of flour at a time until it is less sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rest until it has doubled in size, 1. to 2 hours. Punch the dough down to flatten it.
- Portion the dough into balls that are 2 inches in diameter and let rest for 5 minutes. Flatten each ball into a disk 3 inches in diameter. Then fold them in half. Using a rolling pin, press down on dough to get a nice and even sides.
- Repeat the process and place dough on steaming vessel and proof for 30 minutes before steaming. Make sure not place too many dough on the steamer to avoid uneven cooking. Steam for 10-13 minutes. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
Wagyu Steak Instructions
- Mix all the ingredients except for the beef. Then place beef and marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Soy Reduction Instructions
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl add desired veg to be pickled. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before using.
- (for this recipe, I used 2 ounces shaved cucumber and an ounce of shredded carrots; quick pickled for 10 minutes.)
- Sear wagyu on high for about 2 minutes on each side and finish in oven for about 3 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes then slice the meat thinly.
- Squeeze some sauce on the bottom and place the meat and pickled veg in the bao. Add more sauce as desired.
- Add some cilantro or some shiso for garnish.