- 6 venison medallions
- sliced parma ham
- olive oil
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 large garlic clove
- handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup walnut oil
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 2 tspn cream or crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp toasted fennel seeds
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp cracked white pepper
- zest of 1 lemon
- red, yellow and green pepper – one each, sliced into strips
- courgette, sliced into strips
- eggplant, sliced into strips, skin on
- portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and allow to marinate for half an hour.
- To make the fennel rub, toast the fennel seeds and let them cool. Grind in a mortar and pestle with the salt and pepper then mix in the lemon zest.
- Wrap each medallion in a piece of parma ham as you would a steak. Brush with olive oil.
- Place three medallions on a wooden skewer, season with fennel rub and sear on a hot griddle or BBQ for 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside to rest.
- Sear the vegetables over the same hot griddle until just cooked. Keep warm
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic and flat leaf parsley.
- With the motor still running, drizzle in the walnut oil and olive oil.
- Finally, add the cream or crème fraiche.
Serve the venison medallions on their skewers on top of the chargrilled vegetables with the pesto on the side.