- 1 pound Durham Ranch Ground Venison
- ½ each Yellow onion Medium diced
- 6 cloves Minced garlic
- ½ cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Ground sage
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1- 10oz. can Tomato sauce
- 1 each Diced Roma tomato
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- To taste Salt, Black Pepper
- In a medium sauce pot bring up to a medium high heat, drizzle some oil just to coat the bottom of pot.
- Add in Durham Ranch Ground Venison and stir so it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cook till evenly browned.
- Add in diced yellow onion and garlic and sweat till translucent. Reduce temperature to medium and add the water, tomato sauce, and liquid from Kidney bean can. Let cook at a low rolling bubble to soften ground Venison. Approximately 30 min or until liquid is reduced by ¾.
- Add in chili powder, ground cumin, ground sage, smoked paprika, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and honey.
- Reduce on a medium low heat till desired thickness. Approx. 1/2 hr.
- Season with black ground pepper and salt.
- Garnish optional: scallions, cheddar cheese, diced red onion, shredded parmesan cheese, crackers.
*Deglaze: dilute meat sediments in pan in order to make as sauce, typically using wine.
*Caramelize: converting into caramel through heating; cooking to develop the nutty and brown color of caramel.